Blog updates… again
Over the last year I’ve noticed that I don’t create new posts from my mobile device like I used to when using Postach.io for my main blog. Because my needs have changed, I decided to change the tech of my site to suite those needs. Combine this with my tiredness for maintaining my year-old poorly constructed node-based blog appand you’ve got a perfect argument to switch to a Jekyll static site.
The first problem I realized would be an issue is the URL structure of my current blog has no trailing slashes, but the
permalink: pretty setting for Jekyll adds trailing slashes. The closest thing I found to replicate what I wanted was using
/:title instead for the permalink structure, and then uploading extension-less HTML files (removing the extension in the build process with Gulp) with the proper
Content-Type headers. I tested this out on AWS S3 before realizing I could cut out the middleman and just use Surge! Surge allows you to serve the original HTML file containing the extension, however through some clever pre-thought by the Surge developers you can access the extension-less version of the files which allows you to just upload the files that are generated.
The second problem I faced was figuring out how to create the build system for all the assets, building locally, and deploying. I know that Jekyll and ruby could probably accomplish all of the above, however if you’ve met me or had the chance to work with me you’d know I really don’t like Ruby. In fact, I almost used a node-based spin-off of Jekyll on Github but it had some of its own issues. I chose Gulp instead because I am familiar with it and you can do a lot of powerful tasks with minimal code.
The third and final problem I solved was figuring out how to get
<picture> tag support in Jekyll. I originally tried a gem called
jekyll-picture-tag however it was an all-in image compression, scaling, and output plugin that did a little too much for me. At this point, I realized I just needed something to output in Liquid so I set out learning how to create my own custom Liquid tag. The final result after a lot of time reading Liquid docs turned into this:
We’ll see how this all works out for the future. I think it will stick around for awhile compared to my previous self-built platform that had tonnes of ongoing issues.
If you enjoyed this content, please let me know on Twitter! I want to hear from everyone that comes across my posts 😄